Credential Mark Use
The most visible benefit of board certification is the use of NBCC’s certification mark. NBCC’s certifications and corresponding marks are owned and controlled by NBCC. No individual may use the mark without prior written authorization and its use is limited to the established policies and procedures. Counselors who are board certified may use the marks in their professional materials.
Publications and Materials
NBCC also publishes specific material to support board certification and effective practice.
- The Professional Counselor, NBCC’s online peer-reviewed journal, provides current research in counseling.
- The newsletter, NBCC Visions provides updates in the counseling profession and certification.
- NBCC’s Code of Ethics facilitates the easy search of minimum conduct standards for counselors who are board certified.
- The Policy Regarding the Provision of Distance Professional Services helps counselors who are board certified learn about ethical standards in this developing area.
- ProCounselor, NBCC’s online portal, allows our board certified counselors to track their continuing education.
- NBCC’s Government Affairs initiatives promote counseling to decision makers.
- Opportunities to earn free approved continuing education, including webinars from the NBCC Foundation.
- Qualify for professional liability insurance administered by Lockton Affinity and designed specifically for NCCs.
- May demonstrate special practice certifications in addictions counseling, school counseling and clinical mental health counseling.
- Receive priority enrollment on international opportunities.
- Inclusion in NBCC’s Counselor Find Directory, which helps potential clients locate counselors who maintain board certification.
- Discounted score verifications.