The National Certified Counselor (NCC) is a voluntary national certification that identifies counselors who have met national standards set by the counseling profession. The NCC is the premier certification for the counseling profession, and has been since 1983. The NCC is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA). Currently, more than 62,000 professional counselors worldwide hold the National Certified Counselor (NCC).
What Does Certification Mean for You?
Obtaining national counselor certification through NBCC:
- Shows the public and employers that you have met national standards for education, training and experience based on research completed by professional counselors working in the counseling profession.
- Enhances your professional reputation and credibility and provides a sense of personal accomplishment.
- Offers both you and your clients the protection of an enforceable Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrates your commitment to continued professional development and skills expansion.
- Increases your opportunities for career advancement and increased earnings, among other benefits of certification.
- Provides opportunities for you to advocate on behalf of the counseling profession.
Thank you for your interest in national certification. NBCC is now accepting applications for the October 2016 examination cycle. The application requirements for the National Certified School Counselor (NCSC) and the Master Addictions Counselor (MAC) specialty certifications are currently under review, and these applications are unavailable until further notice. This review will not impact current NCSC or MAC certificants or applications already in progress. For questions on NBCC certification, contact us at email@example.com.
To apply for the National Certified Counselor, you must document successful completion of a qualifying master’s degree and experience, and obtain a passing score on the National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification (NCE).
You can also show your commitment and expertise in the area of clinical mental health with the Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CCMHC).